Treatment of chronic prostatitis is a difficult problem even for modern medicine, often despite all the measures taken, the chronic process cannot be completely eliminated. It is believed that reducing the intensity of the signs is already an effective result. It is worth considering that the clinical picture of prostate cancer has a similar picture to the latent course of chronic prostatitis. PSA is determined for differentiation, the concentration of which is much higher in malignant neoplasms than in the classical inflammatory process.
The treatment of chronic prostatitis is a complex and time-consuming procedure that does not always lead to a complete cure.
Is there an effective treatment for the chronic form of the disease and can you get rid of it quickly? Such a question is almost always asked by patients to urologists at the reception, and if the first part can be answered in the affirmative, then it will not be possible to solve the problem "quickly". Prostatitis treatment lasts exactly as long as it develops, namely: the rest of your life. It is in principle impossible to completely eliminate chronic prostatitis and make the prostate "new". The only thing that can be done is to stop all unpleasant symptoms and delay the occurrence of relapses, but only under the condition that the person himself will strictly follow all medical regulations.
A classic example: a course of drugs, rectal massage and some other methods are prescribed, plus the normalization of lifestyle, abstinence from alcohol. As a rule, medications are taken, but with the rejection of alcoholic beverages, proper nutrition, the situation is much worse. And many men take massage hostilely, considering it a shameful manipulation. As a result, the treatment prescribed by the doctor proved to be ineffective due to non-compliance with all the conditions of the therapy, and the chronic process smoothly turns into impotence and other health problems.
It is important to remember that chronic prostatitis requires deeper attention than acute. The course of therapy is multicomponent; for an expert with many years of experience and the development of modern medicine the disease is not a problem.
In the deterioration phase, the following methods are used:
- Antibiotic therapy.The choice of drug determines the result of the culture (sterility) or is based on the assumption of the cause of the disease. For severe fever and pain, medications are given intravenously. Important: the entire course must be completed by the last day, even if the patient's condition has improved the next day.
- Alpha blockers.Medications are needed to relieve symptoms by relaxing the bladder neck and muscle fibers where the prostate is near the bladder.
- NSAIDs and painkillers- help treat chronic prostatitis and have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Rectal (direct) massage.The recommended course is 10-12 procedures, professionally performed helps to alleviate symptoms and speed recovery.
These are the main methods that are always used, and it is also recommended to conduct additional physiotherapy with electrical stimulation, laser therapy, electrophoresis.
What will happen if you do not treat?
If the treatment of prostatitis is constantly neglected, in seriously neglected cases it will cause a lot of problems that will completely destroy a man's life:
- Prostate abscess.
- Vesiculitis (inflammation of the seminal vesicles).
- Cysts, stones in the prostate.
- Prostate sclerosis.
- Impotence, infertility.
Each of these pathologies requires special attention, and the treatment period will be much longer than in chronic prostatitis. In addition to physical illness, men also develop psycho-emotional instability, become irritable, gloomy, and depressed.
Complete picture of therapy
Currently, the treatment regimen for prostatitis includes the following methods and techniques:
- Effective treatment aimed at removing the infectious factor (drugs).
- The course of restoration of blood microcirculation in the small pelvis and prostate.
- Increasing the immune status of the body.
- Antispasmodic drugs.
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Strengthening drugs and vitamin therapy.
- Local pain relievers.
- Physiotherapy and hormone therapy.
- Massage and taking sedatives.
- General methods (normalization of sleep, diet and rest).
- Spa treatment.
It should be emphasized that, although the announced course of therapy is quite complete, on a purely individual basis, the doctor may recommend the patient to use additional methods, including the use of folk remedies (herbal medicine). In addition, men whose lifestyle is "quite slow" or associated with a long stay in an uncomfortable position that causes blood stagnation in the pelvis and prostate (office workers, security guards, drivers), it is recommended to attend a gymnastics course to eliminate hypodynamics. This is an effective way to speed up recovery from chronic prostatitis and prevent impotence.
Individually, the doctor may recommend the use of folk remedies - herbal remedies.
Basis for drugs
Treatment of chronic prostatitis is not completely without medication. The appointment should always be made by a doctor, the period of admission is strictly individual and should not be interrupted before the end of therapy. Consider the medications used.
To restore blood circulation
In order to restore good blood circulation in the prostate, medications to restore blood circulation are prescribed. Neglecting these remedies will not allow the complete elimination of the inflammatory process in the shortest possible time.
In the chronic form of the disease, decreased immunity is a common thing, so one of the primary tasks when choosing a course of therapy is to increase the body’s resistance to any disease. Drugs are prescribed according to the immunogram: interferons, thymus preparations, synthetic immunomodulators.
These include drugs of several groups:
- 3rd generation cephalosporins.
It should be borne in mind that treatment with chronic prostatitis with antibiotics is long, the course of application is 4-8 weeks.
It is prescribed to normalize the work of smooth muscles in the urinary tract. The course of treatment is 4-8 weeks.
Any hormonal drug is prescribed only by an emergency doctor, the means help to reduce the intensity of the inflammatory process in the gland.
Provides relaxation of intertwined muscles, relieves pain and discomfort.
They are used only as an additional treatment, but in no case instead. Phytopreparations help to remove edema from the gland, reduce pain syndrome and put less stress on human organs.
In addition to long-term drug therapy, some methods are prescribed to alleviate the patient's condition and prevent recurrence of the disease.
Methods of physiotherapy are direct massage, microclysters with healing solutions, sitting baths, low-intensity laser radiation, electrical stimulation, magnetotherapy, acupuncture.
In particular, massage, which men do not like because of banal modesty, is in almost all cases indicated for the treatment of chronic prostatitis. Massage allows you to clean the prostate canal, relieve congestion and inflammation and normalize the work of the gonads. Massage is performed at home or in a medical institution 2-3 times a week.
Indications for the use of surgical methods are acute conditions that pose a danger to a man's life.
Indications for surgical methods
With the complete ineffectiveness of conservative treatment, surgical intervention, however, is not performed in all cases. Indications for the use of surgical methods are acute conditions that pose a direct threat to a man's life:
- Urethral obstruction.With severe narrowing of the urethra and cessation of urine flow, emergency surgery is indicated. Phimosis is often added to the obstruction, followed by circumcision of the foreskin.
- Drainage to create a prostate abscess.A large accumulation of pus in the gland poses a direct threat to the patient's life (sepsis), so the surgeon's task is to quickly remove and empty it.
- Restoration of seminal vesicles.It is needed when they are seriously damaged as a result of inflammation. The operation is performed to improve the function of removing prostate secretions.
- Complete or partial removal.It is necessary for serious hardening of the tissue.
Often men suffering from chronic prostatitis make the same mistake: they use one method or medicine as a medicine, despite the fact that complex therapy is prescribed. There are many arguments, but as a result, the disease remains untreated and manifests itself once with renewed vigor. It is therefore important to keep in mind: none of the treatment methods prescribed by the doctor should be neglected, then the pathology will recede and the person will be able to live a full life.